Low-cost technology can be an empowering tool in developing and emerging countries. With appropriate opportunities such solutions can be developed increase self-sustainability.
In an effort to reward individuals, teams, organizations and enterprises with such solutions, Siemens Stiftung has established the ‘empowering people. Award’.
The Siemens Stiftung wants to empower people to actively address today’s social challenges and is dedicated to the values of Werner von Siemens. Together with cooperation partners, the foundation designs and implements local and international projects with the aim to promote individual responsibility and self-initiative.
The foundation was established in 2008 and cooperates with the other five Siemens foundations established by the company in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, France and the U.S. The project work of the foundation is concentrated on the focus regions Africa, Latin America and Germany/Europe.
The “empowering people. Award” is supported by the Global Alliance of Siemens Foundations Submitting enterprises should fulfill the following criteria:
• The enterprise develops solutions or products which have the potential of social impact for people in developing and emerging countries.
• The enterprise develops solutions or products which are already successfully implemented to improve basic supply in developing or emerging countries.
• The enterprise has a strong focus on job creation.
• The enterprise follows values such as fairness, social responsibility and self-sustainability.
• The enterprise is not a microfinance institution, private equity fund or deposit taking institution.
The Siemens Stiftung has a total of 200,000 EUR at its disposal to be awarded to the best 23 entries.
Those receiving an award will, apart from enjoying visible recognition and a monetary prize, also be able to position the invention on an international scale with worldwide public relations work for the solution and the inventor.
Applications close 31 January 2012. For more details about the competition, click here